Sunday, February 3, 2019

The State of Movies in 2019

2018 was a transition year for movies. Netflix continues to make prestige plays (Roma) and meme plays (Bird Box) left and right. MoviePass tried to revive the movie theater but ended up dying an untimely death (RIP MoviePass- during my 11 month subscription I saw 25+ movies for an absurd $110). The comedy film is all but dead. Star Wars had a panic attack. Comic book films have replaced the Braveheart style epic. And TV shows, whether streaming or traditional, continue to steal the cultural spotlight that was normally reserved for the movie of the week.

As a traditionalist (translation: curmudgeon), I continue to prefer films to television shows. Don't get me wrong, I've sung the praises of recent prestige dramas (Mad Men, Breaking Bad, The Wire, etc.), rewatchable comedies (Brooklyn Nine-Nine, The Office, Seasons 1-10 of the Simpsons, etc.) and will continue my quest to finish all Star Trek episodes (currently watching the original series) with my wife. However, given the choice, I love the contained quality of a film. Annihilation was able to say more in its 2+ hours than any TV show could in 10+ through its visuals, high caliber acting, and incredible score. Every TV show is such an investment, with hours upon hours to invest in an endless list of quality programs. Not to mention the sinking feeling that you've just spent an hour on a filler episode (I'm looking at you Stranger Things and your "Eleven Joins the X-Men" episode that had no consequence to the plot). I feel like every time a friend recommends me a TV show I become more and more anxious with the list piling up. Meanwhile, I watched a random YouTube interview with Quentin Tarantino where he mentions this 80's movie called Blow Out starring a magnificent John Travolta. Instead of adding to my anxiety, I took 2 hours, enjoyed the ride, and went on with my life.

To even further bolster my case as an old man, I still generally prefer seeing films in the movie theater. Pop quiz: where can you go in 2019 to experience something with other people that captures their complete attention, and isn't being distracted by a smartphone? Dinner? No. Concerts? Annoyingly, no. I went to a basketball game last week and the person in front of me watched less than 5 minutes of the game and spent the rest of the time on an iPhone. The movie theater is one of the last shared experiences we have that is completely focused and uninterrupted (as long as everyone behaves). I think that's a good thing to hold on to, and I hope that the movie theater has a renaissance that bolsters my case. No matter how meme-worthy the Netflix movie of the week is, it can never, ever beat seeing a classic on opening night with an excited crowd. Seeing The Dark Knight at 11pm on opening night with some of my college buddies is something I will never forget. Half-watching a new Netflix original with my Nintendo Switch in one hand and iPhone in the other is something I've already forgotten 30 times.

And therein lies the hope for movies in 2019. TV at home is a distraction, something to occupy our minds while we unwind or do chores. Movies can still be an event to go appreciate a piece of art with others around us. It can be reflective and entertaining and carry the cultural conversation when something truly worthy comes alone. Look no further than the release of A Quiet Place earlier last year. Everyone that saw that in the theater had an incredible experience together, given the use of silence in the film. A Star is Born was similar- our theater was almost entirely in tears walking away. In a culture that values experience over materials, my hope is that the theater experience can be as special now as it has been in the past.

This year's Best Picture Oscar feels ABSURDLY wide open. Considering the "Popular Film Oscar" gaffe from earlier in the year and the truly abominable The Shape of Water winning and confusing just about everyone last year, I feel a safe pick coming. The Golden Globes chose Green Book and Bohemian Rhapsody as their picks for Best Picture, ostensibly two crowd pleasers. Black Panther feels like a bridge too far for Academy voters to choose a comic book film (a film I felt was completely overhyped). Maybe Green Book will be the next Crash? Maybe Spike Lee gets his belated due with the excellent BlacKkKlansman? Who knows. While the Academy is bound to screw it up, my top 10 for 2018 is bound to be completely infallible. I still need to catch up on some of what 2018 had to offer, so check back as the Academy Awards get closer for my top 10 list!

*Side note: you can see my ratings for every movie released in 2018 on Letterboxd. I discovered this app earlier in the year and it is a perfect way to catalogue quick thoughts and rankings for everything you've ever seen. I nearly went insane trying to remember and log each movie I've seen from birth until now. When you find yourself thinking the phrase, "I know I've seen Air Bud, but did I ever see any of the sequels?" you've probably gone too far.

No comments:

Post a Comment